St. Denis - Stalag 220

Taken From The Wikipedia Web Site


The camp was located in the old barracks built in the middle of the 19th century at St.Denis, close to Paris. The camp was opened June 1940 and existed until liberated by the US Army in August 1944. Part of the grounds were surrounded by barbed wire to provide open space for exercise. In early 1942 there were more than 1,000 male British internees in the camp. The meager food rations were augmented by the International Red Cross packages, so that overall their diet was satisfactory. Life was tolerable because there was a good library and recreation was provided by sports activities and theater